NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne C in Einstein's Equation
Name: Brenna

Question:
What does the C in e=mc square stand for? I do not mean the speed of light, but the word that it is taken from.

Dear Brenna,

Thanks for your question. Here is a web site to the best answer I could find for your question on the web:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SpeedOfLight/c.html

Todd Clark, Office of Science
U.S. Department of Energy