NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Gravitons and Wave Function
Name: Alon
Location: Israel

Question:
If gravitons can be described as both wave and particle by wave-particle duality, then can "gravitons" be described as quantum-wave functions? Not ripples in space-time curvature that travel at speed "c", but wave functions that have an associated non-locality aspect?

While outside of my sphere of expertise, my readings on the subject of gravity suggests to me that the answer is: No one knows, because there is no quantum theory of gravity. That nothing can travel faster than "c" -- there seems to be broad agreement on that -- the details of what the wave function of a gravitational field might look like is much less clear. Wish I could be more help.