NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Particle - Wave Duality
Name: Andi

Question:
What can you tell me about wave particle duality? I have checked the archives and there are various references but nothing specific.

See Wikipedia for fine discussion of the subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave-particle_duality

George Martin

Particle-wave duality is at the foundation of Quantum Mechanics. Simply stated particles have wavelength and light has momentum. We know of course that particles have momentum and that light has a wavelength. The duality is that each has characteristics of the other. The duality was postulated by de'Broglie, momentum is proportion to the inverse of the wavelength-the proportional constant is Planck's constant.

There seems to have been an interesting exchange of letters between de'Broglie and Einstein at that time (1915ish). I recall that Big Al thought the hypothesis was incredibly insightful-de'Bbroglie's advisors were not so positive. In some very real way duality lead directly to the Scroedinger equation, well at least conceptually for me.
--------------------------

Harold Myron

Andi, In classical physics, in the world we see from day to day, everything is either a wave or a particle. Water is a group of particles called molecules. Radio signals are waves. The properties of a wave are very different from the properties of particles. A particle has a specific position and a specific size. Particles cannot pass through other particles. Waves have a specific frequency. Waves can pass through other waves with no trouble at all.

When you look at things on a very small scale, such as an individual electron, this separation of waves from particles ceases to exist. All things are just bundles of energy. Each object can behave more like a wave in some cases and more like a particle in other cases. At this scale, called the quantum scale, all things have a frequency. All things can pass through other things. All things can be measured to be at a position. All things can bounce off other things. Exactly which properties will be seen depends on the situation and on how measurements are done.