NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Convex Lenses, Light Concentration, Glass
Name: Hunter

Question:
This has to deal with burning glasses(concentrating light to burn). My friends and I noticed that using a burning glass outside works fine, but as soon as you try to use it behind glass, it is ineffective. We were wondering if it is the UV light from the sun that causes it to burn things, and if so, if pure UV light could be concentrated to a greater effect. I have searched for the answer and could not find anything helpful. Thank you for your time and attention.

UV light should not be the issue. Glass and plastic are fairly opaque to UV, so a lens will not transmit UV to focus it.

In my experience, magnifying glasses work just fine to concentrate light coming through a window. So without knowing more about your set-up, I cannot say why it does not work for you.

Richard Barrans, Ph.D., M.Ed.