NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Galilean Relativity
Name: Brandon

Question:
I have a question that me and my wife have been debating on for years now. My questions is if a train is going say 50 mph. and a baseball is thrown say 90 mph. in the direction the train is traveling how fast is the ball really traveling? I do believe inside the train the ball will be going 90 mph, but if there was a way to get an accurate reading on the ball from outside the train would it be going 140 mph. Someone please help us with this physics question.

You need to select a frame of reference. This is very important.

Relative to the train, the ball is going 90. Relative to the ground, it can be 90 + 50 (forward); 90 - 50 (backward). This simple addition (often referred to as Galilean Relativity) breaks down at high speeds (close to the speed of light).

---Nathan A. Unterman