NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Number of Multiple Reflections from Abutted Plane Mirrors

Name: Animesh
Location: IN
Country: India

Question:
I read that if two abutting plane mirrors are inclined at an angle (theta) then the number of images formed is given by the formula : n = (360/theta)-1 , where n = the number of images formed. I wanted to know that how this formula has been derived .

Animesh

The person who derived the equation probably had two mirrors and ran multiple cases recording the angle of the mirrors and the number of images and then derived the mathematical relationship between n and theta.

Sincere regards, Mike Stewart