NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Table of Magnetic Susceptibility

Name: Tim M.

Question:
Without being a magnet itself, what metal will a magnet be most attracted to? I would like to show my students different types of metals and how some are the least magnetic and some of them are more magnetic.

Tim:

Amongst easily found materials, soft Iron seems to be the best with different kinds of steels coming next. Non-ferrous (no iron) metals like copper and aluminum are not attracted at all.

I am reminded of an old demonstration using Total or a similar “adult” cereal. You put cereal in the bowl, add water (or milk) and stir until the cereal is no longer in flakes. You then run a magnet through the glop and small iron particles will cling to the magnet.

Hope this helps. R. W. Avakian