NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Cosmic Ray Flux and Solar Storm

Name: Justin
Location: IL

Question:
I have taken much interest in the solar storm, this past week (6.March.2012). One report said that cosmic ray flux decreased as the mass passed Earth late on Tuesday and Wednesday. Why? I thought it would increase due to all of the energetic particles. Perhaps the sun is NOT part of the source of cosmic rays? Please help me understand this non-intuitive event.

Justin

English is a difficult language and sometimes the reading of words do not result in the meaning the author intended. I think the author meant to say that as the solar storm passed by the Earth, the Cosmic Ray Flux decreased. Both of your assumptions are correct. The Cosmic Ray Flux would increase as the storm approached the Earth and peaked and the Sun is not the only source of Cosmic Ray Flux.

English was the only foreign language I studied in High School. J

Sincere regards, Mike Stewart