`` NEWTON: Watts per Square Meter Reception from Voyager 1

NEWTON Home Page Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week NEWTON Teachers Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Referencing NEWTON Frequently Asked Questions About Ask A Scientist About NEWTON Education At Argonne Watts per Square Meter Reception from Voyager 1

Name: Jim

Question:
How many watts per square meter did NASA receive from Voyager 1 at time of recent reception? (June 2013)

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the question. Voyager 1 has electrical power courtesy of radioisotope thermal generators which utilize Plutonium-238. At present, after accounting for the decay of Pu-238, Voyager 1 has about 225 W of electrical power. Voyage 1 is about 200 AU units of distance from Earth at present. Since, the intensity follows an inverse square law, use the equation I = P/(4*pi*R^2) where I is the intensity in W/m^2, P is the power output of the Sun in W, and R is the distance from the Earth to Voyager in m. You will need to convert AU (astronomical units) into meters.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions. Thanks Jeff Grell