`` NEWTON Thermal Experiment and Materials

NEWTON Home Page Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week NEWTON Teachers Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Referencing NEWTON Frequently Asked Questions About Ask A Scientist About NEWTON Education At Argonne Thermal Experiment and Materials

Name: Allison
Location: OH

Question:
My Physical Science Class is working with conductors, convectors, insulators, etc. Me and the teacher tried an experiment where you put two ice cubes (The same size roughly) in a tin can and another two in a glass Mason jar. When putting them in my hands and under a cardboard box to keep the sun from hitting them, the ice in the glass Mason jar melted first. My question is, why would the Ice in the Mason jar melt first when glass in a poor conductor of thermal energy (you stated this in another question asked)

Hi Allison,

What was the temperature of the glass jar before the experiment? What was the ambient?

The glass is able to harbor (heat capacity) much more heat than the metallic can. If the jar was held in your hands, the glass will absorb the heat and hold it for a longer period of time. The tin will lose the heat from your hand to ambient right away.

Peter E. Hughes, Ph.D. Milford, NH