NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Density Bottles

Question:
While putting together a "Density bottle" for a demonstration for a 6th grade class, I used colored water and glycerin. The glycerin ended up on the bottom for only a short time. As soon as the bottle was shook the glycerin became suspended in the water. Not what I wanted! After a week it still has not separated. Could anyone suggest a better liquid to use other than glycerin? I need to get a liquid with a density greater than 1.0 g/cm3. I use baby oil for less than 1.0 --it is the bottom I am having trouble with.

Try cooking oil and water. These separate real easily in the kitchen. It also helps to cool the mixture so that the "fat" solidifies.

Jack L. Uretsky