NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Saturation of Air formula?

Question:
I need a formula to calculate the saturation point of air (water in air vapor in air) at various temperatures and pressures. I have tables and graphs of such things but would like a formula. Thanks

I do not think there is a formula. At least not anything that you would not need hundreds of hours of computer time to figure out. Just use the tables - they were obtained from experiments, and so should be correct!

Arthur Smith

Actually, you always "fit" the numbers in tables to get a formula out of them - a common form of fitting is polynomial regression, which you should be able to find in any reasonably good computer graphics program (let me know if you cannot find such a thing).

Arthur Smith