NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Reopen the SSC

Question:
For debate I am looking for possible pros and cons for reopening the Superconducting Super Collider. Specifically I need exact figures on how much was spent and was expected to be spent and the relationship it has to total government spending. I amalso looking for other cons than just economic spending.

Other cons are that money for the SSC was detracting from money that could have been spent better in other science areas (even though they claimed it was "new" money), and that administrative micromanagement was causing severe bureaucratic problems and leading to the departure of some important scientists working on the project - see letters in the most recent Physics Today (March I think) for some enlightening commentary.

Arthur Smith