NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Physics of a Bubble

Question:
I want to be able to find how heavy a solid can a bubble in a solution hold up, before the solid 'falls' into the solution. I need specific formulas, and I was wondering where can I start looking a in a physics book? A.B.

The original "Eureka!": Archimedes' principle of buoyancy.

christopher grayce

If I am reading your question correctly, you are asking about "balancing" a solid on top of a bubble (or supporting it on a foam). This is related to the surface tension of the solution and the wettability of the solid -- I think the contact area between the two needs to be in there too. Hopefully someone else can be a little more specific!

gregory r bradburn