NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Black Holes 2

Question:
Hello, I am doing a project on schwarzchild radii. I need someone to help me with this equation R=2GM/c to the 2 power. the M stands for mass and I think the c stands for speed of light. also, is does the slash stand for a fraction?. sorry about all the typos. please help me.

Yes, the slash is a fraction. The quantity G/c^2 can be calculated since G = 6.673 x 10^-8 cm^/g sec^2 and c = 2.997924562 x 10^10 cm/sec giving:
G/c^2 = 2.226 x 10^-28 cm/g

So, just multiply the mass by this quantity (and the extra factor of 2) and you get the radius R. I looked this up in the book: "Gravitation" by Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, which might be one place for you to look for further explanations...

Arthur Smith