NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Relativity

Question:
Could you please tell me about the theory of relativity?

Jason, there are lots of things about relativity. The most important is that the speed of light is the same for everyone. Nothing can move faster than the speed of light. This means that some very strange things can happen. People who measure the lengths of moving objects always get a length shorter than the length of a moving object. Also the number of heart beats of moving animals would be smaller than the number of heart beats of animals in your nearby region. Einstein invented or discovered relativity by asking good questions and continually knowing that somehow he would get the answers. You are asking good questions, keep it up, that is the way to learn. Look for some books on relativity. My answer here is too short.

samuel p bowen