NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Expansion Rates of Different Metals

Question:
I am doing a science fair project on the expansion rates of three different metals: copper, aluminum, and galvanized steel. I was trying to find g=d information to back up my hypotheses s=i oops i meant e=i (which I have not t made yet) but I cannot fing g=d any. Can some one help me find some info? Also, I would like to know if a the heat from a home electric oven wold make a significant and noticeable difference to the naked eye when the metal s expanded. I bought some wire that is made of the given metals to use in my experiment . The wire is 18 gauge. Thank.

Visit a library and look in the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics. It will have a table containing thermal expansion coefficients for various metals. From the numbers given you should be able to determine if you can do the experiment in your oven. By the way. Make sure you form your hypothesis BEFORE designing the experiments.
Hope this helps.

Greg