NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Lighting as a power source
Name: John Kranz

Question:
My name is John Kranz and I would like to know what are the possibilities of using light} as a power source. Could it be an effective means of power for the future?

There are two problems that you could think about solving. Although there are lots of lightning strikes, they are not predictably distributed in time or space. We would need to know where to intercept the strikes. How could we know this? Second, the amount of power that flows is huge, more than most systems can handle, an occurs in such a short time that we cannot easily store it. Usually the power melts the apparatus. This means the apparatus must be big and thus expensive. Cost and predictability. Solve these and this could be real. What do you think?

samuel p bowen