NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Need Sound Frequency Measured

Question:
I have a student who has constructed a "light listener," an electronic device which sees a light source via a photo-transistor and emits a sound which is characteristic of the frequency of that light. It is a science fair air exper. and we need something to measure the frequency (?) of the sound emitted or some numerically measurable output. What will do this, and how do I get one?

There are sound frequency meters. The cheapest and easiest is a chromatic tuner, used for tuning musical instruments. You can get one at a music store for about $30 or so. If you want to spend real money, check in a scientific instruments catalogue.

Jack L. Uretsky