NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne polarized lens

Question:
I went to a 30-d Imax theatre and was curious how it worked. I noticed that the lens were polarized. One side was crossed with respect to the other.

Yes, that is right. What they do is take two pictures of a scene from slightly displaced cameras, just like your two eyes are a small distance apart. Then when they project it they make sure the right eye scene has one polarization that will pass through the polarizer over your right eye, and the left eye scene has the other polarization, and passes through to your left eye. So your two eyes are seeing slightly different 2D images, and they reconstruct it into a 3D image.

Arthur Smith