NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Glass Shattering Frequency
Name: Alicia

Question:
I am trying to find some info. for my teacher. Can you please tell me what sound frequencies shatter glass??

lets say you take a good crystal class and tap it gently with a hammer. It makes a high pitched ting sound. You can now imagine the reverse. Use sound at this same frequency, back at the glass. It will make the glass vibrate, maybe enough to break the glass. So they are the same things, in reverse. Hammering glass makes sound, or same frequency sound back at the glass makes it seem like it was "hit" with a force, an imaginary hammer.

S. Ross