NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Capacitor Discharge
Name: James

Question:
I have the understanding that in the electronics field capacitors can never hold there charge for too long and even when not connected to a circuit but still charged, they still discharge. I was wondering why this is the case? I can only come up with the fact that it is possible the air particles surrounding the positve and negative pins that conduct away the charge from the capacitor eventually making it lose its charge. Am I right. If so, storing them in a vacuum should prevent them discharging? hanking you in anticipation.

Hello, Yes, you are right on both counts. However, remember that absolute vacuum is never reached, and thus, given enough time, discharge will occur, however, slowly.

AK

Dr. Ali Khounsary
Advanced Photon Source