NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Air Foil and Speed
Name: dee

Question:
If a jet in the air increases its speed, does the downward force of air on the top of the wings increase or decrease? Does the net lifting force of the air on the wings increase or decrease?

The downward force decreases, and the net lifting force increases.

Increase... if all else remains the same.

Reading more about Bernoulli's principle would help understand this.

Hi,

I guess increasing the speed will lift the jet up. My reasoning is that before the increase there is some uplift force that balances the weight of the jet, keep it level. The uplift force is directly related to velocity. If speed is increased, the uplift force is increased.

AK

Dr. Ali Khounsary
Advanced Photon Source