NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Speed of Light and Electricity
Name: Sean

Question:
ok...I beleive that the speed of light is typically much faster than the speed of electricity, and my roommate and I got into an arguement on the speed difference. I say light is very much faster than electricity(like e-mail or a phone call), and he says that they are close to if; not the same speed. Whom is right? and if you answer this...could you give a measurement such as IE: elec->2300miles/sec

Electrical signals in a wire typically travel at something like 1/3 the speed of light. Code words that will normally lead you into a discussion of this subject in electrical engineering textbooks include "transmission line", and "characteristic impedance".