NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Rare Earth Magnets
Name: Lowell

Question:
What would the effect be if one were to use rare earth magnets either to generate electrical current or to be used in electrical motors? Would it be an advantage, disadvantage, or would it not work at all?

Higher power densities would be the advantage, since motors could be made smaller because of the larger magnetic fields in rare earth magnets.

Dr. Myron

If I were to attempt the experiment described (place a mirror parallel to the floor, place a book on it, then place a small object on top of the book) I would not expect to be able to see the object in the mirror unless the object was tall enough to be seen sticking up above the book.

You will see in the mirror those parts of the object that would be visible if you replaced the mirror with a sheet of glass and then adjusted your position so your eyes were the same distance below the glass as they were above the mirror.

Dr. Bradburn