NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Friction and Surfaces
Name: Fred

Question:
I am trying to recall my physics classes. Is friction independent of surface area? If you have two 50 pound boxes with different surface contact areas to the floor. Will both require the same amount of force to start moving the boxes and keep them moving?

Yes, friction is independent of surface area. The only things that effect friction are the support force (also known as the normal force), the characteristics of the materials, and the temperature.

---Nathan A. Unterman