NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Electron Radius
Name: Michael

Question:
I was curious as to whether or not an electron has a volume. So I looked it up in a table of physical constants and it mentioned that the "Electron classical radius" is 2.81794092e-15 m. So question I have is how was this radius determined? Via experimental observation or through some more indirect route?

(FYI, I happened to come up with the same number using an indirect method and I'm curious whether I just happened to stumble upon the same methods that were already known and used.)

The idea behind the classical electron radius is that a classical distribution of charge totalling the electron's charge would have electrostatic potential energy equivalent to the electron's rest mass if it were confined to a volume of this radius.