NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne dB Designation
Name: Richard

Question:
I know that dB stands for decibel. Someone has used the abbreviation similarly for the gain of an antenna as "dBic". Would you know the definition of this abbreviation?

I know that dbi means db (isotropic), the ratio of the gain you would get from this antenna versus an isotropic radiator (no direction, just goes in all spherical directions). dbc usually means db of the ratio of the signal to the carrier strength, so if there is little information content, the ratio would be low.

so maybe somebody put all these together?

Dr. Ross