NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Gravitational Force as a Tool
Name: Unknown

Question:
I am looking for a way to measure the relevant height of objects. If I am building a house I want to make sure the roof is level. I know you can use a laser level or string level but if you do not have line of sight or there are obstruction in place how do you do it and be accurate to 1 mm. I thought go may be able to measure the gravitational force at one spot and compare it to another spot and therefore work out a difference in force which means thatthe second spot is either higher or lower than the first.

I think your best bet may be a transparent hose full of water.