NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Particle Tracks
Name: Mark

Question:
I'm writing a set of notes for my high school physics students on nuclear phyiscs, and I want to show them some particle tracks after a collision in a particle accelerator. How can I get some of these images that I can paste into a MS Word document and print up for my students. I've searched the internet extensively and have not found any images that will work. Can you help me?

Hello,

Drag force is often a complex function of velocity and other parameters. More specifically, it is related -- in a non-linear way -- to a parameter known as the Reynolds number. This parameter lumps velocity, viscosity, density and size into a single mathematical entity. The precise nature of the relationship between drag force and Reynolds number depends on such factors as the shape and surface roughness of the projectile. These relationships are often established empirically, and one refers to them for numerical calculation. Analytical solutions are often not possible.

May I refer you to an introductory text book on fluid mechanics where you will find in-depth coverage of the subject.

Good luck.

Dr. Ali Khounsary
Advanced Photon Source
Argonne, IL 60439