NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Electrical Danger
Name: Anthony

Question:
I have a quetion about electrical current. Which kills, voltage or amperage? My friends father says that it is possible to have a very high voltage if the amperage is low,and that is how stun guns are made. Is this true and could you possibly explain the principles to me?

Amperage. The amount of current determines the effect; the voltage and the resistance of the path through the body determine the current. Currents much below 100 mA are uncomfortable, but not life threatening; currents around 100 mA can cause fibrillation, a chaotic, unproductive heart rhythm that persists after the current is removed and is fatal unless very prompt treatment is given; currents much above 100 mA can lock up the heart without causing fibrillation and cause serious burns.