NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Nuclear Electricity

Question:
In brief, what is nuclear electricity?

Electricity generated from a nuclear reactor. Dr. Myron

That's not a term I normally hear, but I suppose that it refers to electricity generated from nuclear power. Most electric generators operate by moving coils of wire through a magnetic field (or vice versa); in the case of nuclear power, the energy for moving the coils of wire comes from nuclear fission reactions, in which large atomic nuclei split into two smaller nuclei, releasing heat in the process. The heat is used to generate steam, which drives the generator, just as the heat of burning coal or oil is used to drive generators in other power plants.

Richard Barrans Jr., Ph.D.

Hi,

I suppose you mean electricity produced by nuclear power. If so, here how it goes. To produce electricity and sent it into power lines to get to your home, here is what they do at the electric generating station.

They often burn coal, oil, or natural gas to heat up water, turn it into steam, use its power to rotate the blades of a turbine, and produce electricity (as in a dynamo).

In a nuclear power plant, one uses nuclear material instead of oil or coal to heat up the water. For more information on electricity, try this website:
http://www.bc.sympatico.ca/Contents/Learning/Discovery/subjects/science.html

Good luck.

Dr. Ali Khounsary