NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Degrading Magnets

Question:
I have 2 magnets made of Neodymium-Iron Boron which are 2 inch by 2 inch by 1/2 inch and have 70 pounds of pull. If I force the magnets together into repelling positions with North pole facing Northpole or South pole facing South pole, how long would it take for the magnets to degrade in the amount of pounds or MGOe of pull/push?

PS I need this info in regards to an invention I am creating. If it works, >>I will give a $100 or more donation to Bill Beaty at eskimo.com who has >>referred me to you depending on how popular it gets. I cannot describe the >>inventions nature. All I can say is that it will eliminate more than half >>of the polution we are creating today, and also help with space >>exploration among other things. Right now, I am struggling to build it, so >>I cannot donate at this time. I feel that I must complete it by the end of >>this year.

I know of no easy answer to your question. Different magnets act differently, and I do not know at what level you consider the magnet degraded. I recommend that you contact a magnet manufacturer, for example, Shin-Etsu Chemical, (408-383-9240) and ask them for for specifications on their magnets. They make very powerful permanent magnets (Nd-Fe-B types). Magnets degrate over time and with temperature, but the rate depends on the magnet.

I hope you can find your answer from them and if you do, please let me know as well.

Thanks

AK
Dr. Ali Khounsary