NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Pipe Flow
Name: Richard

Question:
Could you please tell me the relationship between a gas/liquid, it's viscosity and velocity, and the pressure it exerts upon a surface. I.e. water flowing down a pipe with no turbulence will exert more force the faster it travels. Is there an equation to represent this and could you please explain it to me.

Bernoulli's equation. Look in any fluid mechanics book and you'll find Bernoulli's equation and what it represents. Basically, Bernoulli's equation states that a fluid flowing through a pipe has both kinetic energy (energy due to its motion (velocity)) and potential energy (energy stored due to its position and composition (density)). If one of the energy forms increases, the other must decrease in order to conserve energy. A few things to note about fluid flow:

1. a fluid flows due to a difference in pressure

2. a resistance to flow creates pressure

3. viscosity is measure of how a fluid resists flow (see note 2).

Hope this helped.

C. Murphy

Although I do not have any formulas for you, your question relates to Bernoulli's principle. As the velocity of a fluid increases, its pressure will decrease. You might wish to hit the reference books and pursue this principle.