NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Center of Gravity
Name: Angela S

Question:
I am trying to understand forces and levers, my question is; What is the difference during turning that makes tall cars and vans more unstable than low sports cars?

As you've anticipated, it's all about leverage. When a car makes a turn, the road exerts a force on the wheels in the direction of the turn, and because this force is not directed through the center of mass of the car, it exerts a torque. Two torques, actually: one turns the car and the other tries to flip it over. Imagine a stationary car on a carpet. If you get on the driver's side of the car and pull the carpet hard enough, the car will flip over. This is the force I'm talking about. The further the carpet is from the center of mass of the car, the greater is the lever arm you're using to flip it over.