NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Windmills
Name: Mark

Question:
Our property has just got to rely on subterrainian water for all purposes and instead of using our usual method of pumping the water by a generator and fuel we just put in a windmill about 30 feet high and the situation where it is located is in a valley between two miniture mountains and our property is covered rather densely with trees like bushland and the windmill seems to get confused with all the turbulant wind that is produced and cannot get a consistant motion even in 30 knot winds, my question is this- how can I maximise the wind force to the pump with the most efficient stream of wind. Any sugestions would be appreciated, sincierly yours Mark Perrins.

Mark,

If you made the windmill like an anemometer (cups on a wheel mounted horizontally) it would be less dependent on wind direction.

Greg

Hello,

I do not have any practical experience with windmills. But I would think that situations like the one you described are not uncommon. Perhaps you can talk with the windmill manufacturer. Maybe there are designs that swirl to adapt to preferable directions of the wind, if the direction does not change rapidly. You may also consider whether the windmill can be moved to a more favorable location, or whether the area surrounding it can be rearranged.

You may want to buy or borrow an instrument to chart the wind direction at the windmill site over a period of time to determine the wind pattern before undertaking any major changes.

Just out of curiosity, did the manufacturer provide any instruction, and did you investigate the site before installing the windmill?

Good luck,

AK

Dr. Ali Khounsary
Advanced Photon Source