NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Artificial Gravity
Name: Tatenda

Question:
I need a full response to what exactly is "artificial gravity?"

Yeah, I need that too. We don't even understand real gravity.

One thing we do know is that there's no way to tell the difference between gravity and that force you feel pushing you back in your seat when your car accelerates. In this sense, artificial gravity is the effect of any acceleration. Beyond this, science fiction is full of the notion that we might somehow arrange for a force that feels like gravity and that doesn't involve large massive objects or motion of any kind. Real science doesn't have a clue how this might be done.