NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Dog Fights
Name: Kimberley B.

Question:
I have two male puppy teacup poodles. The first is Higgins who is seven months old. I have had him four months. The second is Bosley who is three months old. Up until two weeks ago they have been getting along very well. They truly love one another & enjoy the time they spend together. Lately, when I arrive home,& I let them out of their room, they begin to fight & attack one another quite fiercely. I separate them, & they will continue to do this for the rest of the night. I have tried several things to modify this behavior. They get along fine when they are alone, but when I am with them they fight. Can you please tell me why they do this, and how to get them to stop? It is very frightening to see and here them as they truly attack each other.

They do this because they are both males, and haven't been neutered. This is NORMAL behavior for unaltered male dogs, which is one reason why most people alter their dogs.

I cannot offer you behavioral advice, because, as I mentioned, this is NORMAL for unaltered male dogs. Alter the older one ASAP and the younger at about six months of age.

Phillip Raclyn, DVM CVA

Click here to return to the Veterinary Topics Archive