NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Dog with Split Toe
Name: Amanda D.
Date: September 12, 2002 

Question:
My dog split his toe in half and he keeps licking it and I want to clean it with peroxide and cover it up because he goes outside and runs in the woods and the dirt and i do not want to get to the point where he needs to have his toe removed or something. Can I clean it myself?

Do not be penny wise and pound foolish. The longer you wait, the bigger the problem will become. And the more expensive. SEE A VET NOW... or your dog just might need major surgery.

Phillip Raclyn, DVM CVA

No, you should get it looked at by a vet, disinfected with something stronger than peroxide (which is a weak antiseptic) and probably bandaged for a week to let it heal.

Phillip Raclyn, DVM CVA

Click here to return to the Veterinary Topics Archive