NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Cow Magnets
Name: Lauren

Question:
What is a cow magnet?

Cow magnets are permanent magnets inside one of the stomachs of the cow. I do not recall the size of the magnet, but the magnet has been placed in the stomach of the cow to "catch" other magnetic substances which might hurt the cow. One can imagine sharp objects, if ingested, could hurt the cow's digestive track.

Dr. Harold Myron

I have three cow magnets and they have been attached to an electrical conduit for about 15 years. They are tapered, rounded end cylinders with a very strong magnetic presence. There strong magnetic field is excellent for demonstrating a magnetic field.

Click here to return to the Veterinary Topics Archive