NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Cat Communication
Name: Andi L.

Question:
Our family has always had house cats as pets...so in numbers over the years there have been many. Our latest cats (3) that we rescued from the road are now a year old. We have observed something a little different from these three cats that we don't believe we had ever noticed before. They have their little cat language.....nothing like a meow....just like little grunts....a bit like what you would expect from jumping and hitting the ground with moan...grunt...whatever. They walk around and seem to be communicating? What is this? Are we just now observing something that is common?

Hi Andi

My answer will not be one of a veterinerian or a zoologist,that i am not, but of a cat-lover! If it helps the long experience... I always had cats ,and all together must have been, lets say, more than 50... from new born kitties to old age (more than 20 years old cats).

Surely they communicate not only between themselves but also i(and many people) can say we "understand" their "talking" and what they mean to "say". In a more scientific view some zoologists have studied cats "meaows" and it is said to be more than 20 different sounds with different meanings each one. Observe and hear yourself.

Please i am not saying that there are a cat vocabulary with the same meaning always, for every one. There are no scientific evidence for that. What as an animal observer and lover i say is that all animals communicate within their species with sounds, eyes, gestures, etc. They show feelings and desires.

They are sad and happy due to different situations. They follow their owner feelings, sorrow and joy. That is truth.It is my truth anyway.

Mabel

Click here to return to the Veterinary Topics Archive