NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Dogs and Cedar
Name: Amy
Location:CT

Question:
I was searching about information on cedar and dogs and I came across this site and a previous question. The answer stated that cedar beds should be fine, but my lab came down with serious paralysis of the stomach and intestines required surgery. He is now on Reglan. The only thing different that we could think of was the addition of a cedar bed about 2 weeks prior to his illness. Also, he did not "like" sitting on it and outright refused once he got back from the vet's. Is this all a coincidence? We got rid of it anyway - but if this a problem I want to know about it.

I've never heard anything about ceder being toxic in anyway for dogs... What about the bed itself?

what was it made of?

Chemicals to prevent fire? etc? Or maybe coincidence?

Phillip Raclyn, DVM

Click here to return to the Veterinary Topics Archive