NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Working with a Veterinarian
Name: Katie
Location:WI

Question:
When I grow up, I want to be a vet, because I love animals more than anything else in the world. so now my aunt is going to take me to spend a day with a real vet! I am so so SO excited. so I was wondering if there is anything that I would need to know about animals? PLEASE help me, I don't want to go in there looking like a total idiot, not knowing so really important information.

p.s. I've already know alot of info because of live experiences, and because I have already started reasearching. Also, if it is too much to type out, can you please give me a realy good site that could answer my question?

Hi Katie!

It is wonderful that you are going to spend a whole day with a real vet! I am sure it will be quite an experience and more you can check if you want to study to be a vet.

I bet you know most of the things you will need to know. But even i am not a vet there are some things i would like to recommend:

1) go there with clean clothes, your regular ones, but just out from the drawer. Dont forget to use clean shoes, closed ones, not sandals. Maybe somebody can lend you some white uniform to put it on, but it is not mandatory.

2)Follow the vet recommendations of course, don't touch anything before he/she says it is OK.

3)Careful with the animals, mostly will be sick, and in pain so they can bite you.

4) even if some one is healthy (coming for check-ups or vaccine) do not pick up them before asking the vet.

5) Speak or ask things in a low voice, the animals can get scared.

6) Be prepared to see eventually some animal in pain or (i hope not!) dying. The vets are like medical doctors for humans, they do their best to care for the animals and prevent souffrances, but this is not always possible.

7) Finally i am sure it is going to be a great experience for you. Profit and love always the animals.

The Earth belong to them the same way as to the human beings.

Have a great day! and thanks for asking NEWTON!

Mabel

Hi Katie,

It sounds like you are on the right track to learning all the right things! Vets usually remember when they were first exploring veterinary medicine and admire students who have already made the effort to start researching.

The best thing to do when you visit is to watch... and then ask questions after the animal and owner leave.

When I first visited a vet, he was really, really busy! So, he didn't have a lot of time for answering questions. I made a list of questions to look up when I got home. I asked the vet and the technicians questions that helped me know enough to look things up on my own. I also made notes in a notebook so that I would remember all the different things that I saw and what types of shots and treatments were common.

There are a lot of good websites that will come up as you search on pet disease names or vaccinations.

Good luck and have lots of fun during your visit!

Laura Hungerford DVM, MPH, PhD
University of Maryland
Click here to return to the Veterinary Topics Archive