NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Dove Behavior
Name: Katherine
Location: OH

Question:
I am doing research on animal intelligence. I am having trouble finding a list of the least and most intelligent or trainable animals. Can you help?

Hi Kathrine!

That is a tough question, mainly because of the extent of the question.

It might be good to consider narrowing your focus to a specific species or group of animals. For instance, you could look into the specific dog breeds with respect to their ability to be trained. Also, it's important to note that ability to be trained and intelligence aren't always one in the same.

Sorry not to be able to answer, but I think with a bit more focus you could come up with a really interesting topic to look into.

Best wishes,

Susannah
Vet-Med
University of Wisconsin
Click here to return to the Veterinary Topics Archive