NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Dogs and Time
Name: Hailey
Location: MD

Question:
I travel often and worry how leaving for long periods of time (and boarding my dog) will affect her. I wouldn't think that dogs could understand the concept of time...because it is something that we have created in order to quantize or measure moments. However, I would think that the dog would understand daily habits... are the minds of dogs capable of measuring time? Is their memory capable of understanding one day versus seven days? Does 2 hours feel like 2 days to them? How do you think dogs understand time?

Hailey,

Interesting question.

Since we cannot get inside a dog's head and know beyond a shadow of a doubt what their concept of "time" is, I will simply offer my observations.

I breed Jack Russell Terriers. Given all the JRT's I've had, and the length of time that I've had them, I have experienced about 50 human or perhaps ~350 canine years. I'm not sure that gives my opinion more or less weight, just letting you know my experience.

I, too, was concerned about getting a dog and leaving it alone during my work time. After some time passed, however, I realized, since I worked night shift at the time, I could take the pet to work with me, during milder weather, and visit it during the cool night at coffee and lunch breaks. This bonding time of spending as much time as possible together, especially in the first year, was critical. In my view, absences later in life were less disturbing to an adult dog than a pup.

Having done that, and bonded strongly with the pet, the day came when I would first leave him alone. The result was not good, he appeared to have thought I'd never return. Some advice: when leaving the pet alone, work up to it. Step out for a few minutes, then return, and, over a period of days, lengthen the "away time". The idea is to help the dog understand you will not be leaving forever, but teach that concept gradually.

My feeling of "time" as regards to dogs is that they don''t measure minutes, but they rather measure "together" episodes and "alone" episodes. The other thing they notice is when they need to go to the bathroom and eat. Though they might not know you've been gone for 8 hours, they will know after a few hours that they are hungry and they need to relieve themselves. For different breeds which thrive on stimulation (ex. Jack Russell Terriers), I found having a companion dog at home was a great comfort to the first pet. Additionally, I usually play a radio so they dog's mind can be occupied by music and voice.

One comical thing I've noticed about my current "pack" of Jack Russell Terriers. I own a few clocks which ring out 15 minute time periods and then ring the number of hours on the hour. The dogs have become skilled enough to recognize the pattern that when they hear the hour-pattern of chime play, followed by the counting of hours, that I will soon arise. Indeed, my alarm clock is set to ring on the hour. (Occasionally they go into barking mode one full hour early, so thus far I don't think they have learned to count out the hour....but I actually expect this will someday be realized by them.)

Regarding your specific questions.....my impression is that dogs experience a feeling of expectation and waiting beginning at the time you leave. If you are gone for 2 hours, the "sadness during the parting" barely has time to develop. If you are gone for two days, they wake up during that whole period, and each time, they have to re-realize that you are not there. Personally, I believe this absence, not necessarily its duration but that it occurs, can result in a bit of melancholy for the pet. As simple animals, they, if fact, cannot know if you are going to return or not. The longer you are gone, the worse it looks to them. (Again, if another pet is present, the distraction might help minimize the melancholy, but the absence of their master still is very real.) Finally regarding your 1 day vs. 7 day question...I believe you could test this yourself. I'd anticipate that if you watch your dog's reaction at your reunion after a 1 day vs. a 7 day absence, you will notice the dog will be overjoyed after 7 days and would show a much greater reaction at that reunion. The 1 day reunion would likely be strong, but I think the 7 day one would make it clear that each wake-time noticing your absence registered in the dog's psyche.

Ric Rupnik

Click here to return to the Veterinary Topics Archive