NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Cow Eye Restoration

Name: Kendall
Location: TX

Question:
I'm working on a science fair experiment. I need help with my science fair question. My question is" Can you restore a cows eyes lens after it has been removed from the eye for a few days?" What i was trying to ask in my question is 'is there a type of material of chemical that can clear the lens even after it has become cloudy.

Kendall,

That is an interesting question. A lens can be removed from the eye, but typically a lens cannot be cleared. The changes to the internal structure of the lens are permanent, thus making it cloudy. A new, artificial lens could be put in if there was one the right size for a cow eye, just like in human cataract surgery. There are other conditions that can cause cloudiness of the eye, but that usually involves the fluid in the front of the lens. These conditions can sometimes be treated medically.

I hope this helps. Regards,

Louis M. Huzella, DVM, Diplomate, ACVP Veterinary Pathologist, Contractor

Click here to return to the Veterinary Topics Archive