NEWTON Home Page Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week NEWTON Teachers Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Referencing NEWTON Frequently Asked Questions About Ask A Scientist About NEWTON Education At Argonne Walking Issues in Cats

Name: Helen
Country: Philippines

Question:
One of my kittens is acting strangely. She isn't walking properly. It seems that there is something wrong with her hind legs. She isn't eating as much as she used to, and she sleeps more often. What do you think is wrong and what should I do?

Hello Helen,

I’m sorry to hear that your kitten is not doing well. It is difficult to know what might be causing her problems without doing a complete physical exam. If the problem with her hind legs is recent, it might be that she suffered an injury you were not aware of. It may also account for her increased sleeping. There are other possibilities too, especially if she was this way since birth (hind leg problem). What I can suggest is trying to hand feed her a balanced diet for kittens (kitten food), making sure she gets plenty to drink, stays quiet, and plenty of rest. Other than that the only other real option is to take her to a veterinarian for an examination.

I hope this helps,

Regards, Lou Huzella, DVM

This person needs to take their kitten to a vet right away.

Susannah Sample MS, DVM, Ph.D. BME

Click here to return to the Veterinary Topics Archive