NEWTON Home Page Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week NEWTON Teachers Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Referencing NEWTON Frequently Asked Questions About Ask A Scientist About NEWTON Education At Argonne Kitten and Adult Food

Name: Nina
Grade: 
Location: NY

Question:
My aunt has 2 cats. One is a grown-up and one is a kitten (11 months old) and she is supposed to be eating kitten food, but the other cat eats it, and my aunt is feeding both of them regular food. Is that healthy for the kitten and does it affect her?

Hi Nina! I am not a vet but i use to have lots of cats all my life so i guess i can answer your question. See 11 months old the kitten is no more a really kitty, it is getting almost a cat. Of course it would be best if it could eat a food proper for its age, but if not it will not make her sick. If both are eating the same food, your aunt must be careful that the older one doesnt eat everything! Maybe the old cat could be agressive and do not let the youngest to eat anything, that would be pretty bad. Another thing to take care is the kibble size, adultĀ“s food sometimes are to big for the kitty if he still has the baby teeth. Look for that also. Maybe for a 1-2 months you can convince your aunt to make a mixture for both cats to eat. Anyway what is important is be sure both cats eat a good brand food, and water, lots of water! Cats usually dont like to drink sufficient water so it is important to let always plenty of fresh water.! Also remind auntie to vaccine the "baby", and give her some medicine for worms...mostly if he walks around. These can be found at any pet shop.

Hope that helps you, Nina! You must be a lovely and responsible girl, to worry about your aunt cats. And thanks for asking Newton!

Mabel (Dr. Mabel Rodrigues)

Hi Nina,

Thanks for the question. Let me first say that I am not a veterinarian. I suspect that feeding both cats "regular food" will not harm them. A growing cat (kitten) needs more protein as it is growing rapidly while the adult cat is not. As long as there is sufficient food available, I would not be concerned.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions. \ Thanks Jeff

Click here to return to the Veterinary Topics Archive