NEWTON Home Page Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week NEWTON Teachers Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Referencing NEWTON Frequently Asked Questions About Ask A Scientist About NEWTON Education At Argonne Dog's Ear Shape and Hearing

Name: Caroline 

Question:
My question is does the type or shape of a dogs ear effect its hearing if so how?

Caroline,

That is a good question. The shape of an ear does have an effect on hearing. An upright ear has better sound reception and directional ability over a floppy ear that covers the ear canal. Canids like German Shepherds, Siberian huskies foxes, coyotes, and wolves have better hear acuity than dogs like basset hounds and even Labradors retrievers that have floppy ears.

I hope this help, Regards, Louis M. Huzella, DVM, Diplomate, ACVP

Hi Caroline,

Thanks for the question. Yes, the type and shape of a dog's ear does influence its hearing. Remember that the ear functions as sort of a channel to concentrate sound. Your ear does the same thing. However, predicting how hearing is affected by the shape of the ear and what the ear is made of is really complicated. You would need a very sophisticated computer.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions. Thanks Jeff

Click here to return to the Veterinary Topics Archive