NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Drinking Rain Water
Name: Joe
Age: old

Question:
Why can't I drink rain water?

Joe,

Normally you could drink rainwater without becoming ill. However, rainwater contains pollutants, soil, plant parts, insect parts, bacteria, algae, and sometimes radioactive materials that the rain/snow has washed out of the air. If filtered with one of the filtering systems that you can buy in stores nowadays, and then boiled, you could probably drink the water safely. However, it is safer yet to get your water from municipal water supplies or from wells that are frequently tested.

David Cook

Since ancient times, the only sources of natural water that are recognized as safe to drink are rain water and water from deep wells. The trick is that the rain water must be carefully handled so that it does not become contaminated. If it runs along the ground, it's anybody's guess what sort of microbes and toxic elements it will pick up. But if you put a clean bowl out in the rain to collect the rain water, there's no reason you can't drink the water from it.

Hi Joe,

The only reason I could think of where you can't drink rain water is if you have no mouth.

OK, enough joking. In some third world nations, they drain rooftop rain gutters into barrels to collect water for drinking. Rain water might be a little bit acid compared to water out of the ground or from rivers, which are somewhat neutralized from contact with minerals, so you'd be missing some of those minerals.

If you live in a really polluted city, it might be a good idea not to drink rain when it just starts, as it's washing out all the particulate material in the air (car exhaust, diesel fumes, dust, etc). Other than that, I can't think of why you shouldn't be drinking it.

Don

There is no essential reason why you can't drink rain water. I think the concern about drinking rain water has to do with the fact that in our non-pristine environment the raindrops may have picked up some contaminant on the way down from the clouds.

Dear Joe-

Most likely, you ARE drinking rain water..! The water that comes from the tap in your home at some point in the past fell as rain water (or snow). It may have flowed into the ground to become part of the groundwater supply, or may have arrived in resevoirs via rivers and streams. Usually this water is treated to remove impurities and harmful organisms.

But you can collect rainfall and drink it also. It should be collected and handled under sterile conditions, however. Much of the world's water supply, especially in the tropics, comes from rain water.

Wendell Bechtold, Meteorologist
Forecaster, National Weather Service
Weather Forecast Office, St. Louis, MO